National Federal & Florida representation. Global clientele.
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Your contact with this firm reflects your understanding and agreement with these statements.
Recommendations or testimonials are not necessarily representative of results obtained, or all clients’ experiences with the lawyer. Facts and circumstances may differ from the matter(s) in which the results or recommendations are provided. Decisions about any lawyer are important and should not be based solely upon what is stated in a social networking site, website or blog. Your contact with this firm reflects your understanding and agreement with these statements.
© 2007-17 Easley Appellate Practice, P.L.L.C. (Since 1994) All rights reserved.
1200 Brickell Avenue, Suite 1950 (PH1), Miami, Florida 33131
Appellate and Strategic Litigation Support Areas:
- Federal & State Appeals in Civil, Administrative & Criminal
- Business Law Appeals: Commercial, Contracts and Business Torts
- ERISA, Civil RICO, FDUTPA, Antitrust, Consumer Protection Actions
- Health Law & Medical Malpractice Law Defense
- Constitutional, Entertainment & Employment Law
- Contract Law and Insurance Coverage Appeals
- Member, United States Supreme Court and Supreme Court Historical Society
- President, Rosemary Barkett Appellate American Inn of Court, 2015-2017.
- Appellate Practice Certification Committee, 2012-15.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Miami School of Law, 2007-2012
- Immediate Past President, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society, 2015-16.
- President, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society, 2014-15.
- Officer, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society, 2010-15.
- Chair, Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section 20th Anniversary Committee, 2012-13.
- Immediate Past Chair, Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section ("APS"), 2010-11.
- Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section, 2009-10.
- Chair Elect, Florida Appellate Practice Section, 2008-09.
- Vice Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section, 2007-08.
- Delegate, Appellate Practice Section, Florida Bar Council of Sections, since 2007.
- Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section Special Subcomm on Appellate Board Recertification Standards, 2006-07.
- Chair, Florida Appellate Practice Section Legislation and Public Education Committee. 2011-12.
- Treasurer, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society. 2011-12.
- Membership Director, Third District Court of Appeal Historical Society. 2010-11.
- Vice Chair, Florida Bar Appellate Court Rules Committee ("ACRC"), 2008-09.
- Chair, ACRC, General Practice Subcomm, 2008-09.
- Chair, ACRC Orientations Subcomm, 2006-07.
- Member, ACRC E-filing Subcomm, 2005-09.
- Member, ACRC Rules Criminal Law Subcomm, 2007-08.
- Member, ACRC Civil Rules Subcomm, 2005-08.
- Member, ACRC Records on Appeal Subcomm, 2004-09.
- Chair, APS Pro Se Appellate Handbook Committee, 2005-09.
- Editor-in-Chief, The Record, Florida Journal of the Appellate Practice Section, 2004-05.
- Elected Member, APS Executive Council, 2003-05.
- Member, Florida Defense Lawyers Amicus Committee, 2005-09.
- Member, Editorial Board,Trial Advocate Quarterly, 2005-09.
- Executive Editor & Staff Member, Univ. Miami School of Law Inter-American Law Review, 1992-94.
- Lillian R. Levy Award for Excellence, University of Miami Inter-American Law Review. 1993-94.
- American Jurisprudence Award, top award for excellence in the study of Contract Law, Fall, 1991.
- Highest Mark, top award for excellence in the study of European Market Law, Fall, 1992.
- Research Fellow, C. Eugene Farnsworth Memorial Fellowship, SUNY/CESF.
- Research Fellow, Edna Bailey Sussman National Fellowship.
Professional Recognition (Some):
- Ranked Top 100 Lawyers, South Florida, in Super Lawyer Magazine 2010.
- Ranked AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
- Ranked Top 100 Lawyers, South Florida, in Super Lawyer Magazine 2010.
- Ranked Top 50 Women Lawyers in Super Lawyer Magazine 2009, and again in 2010.
- Ranked Florida Super Lawyer (top 5 percent of Florida lawyers), Super Lawyer Magazine, annually since 2006.
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Appellate Law as an Appellate Specialist since 2003.
- Ranked in the Legal Elite (top 1.9 percent of all Florida Lawyers), Trend Magazine.
- Florida Bar 2009 Award for Excellence in the Promotion of Board Certification.
- Florida Super Lawyer (top 5 percent of Florida lawyers), Super Lawyer Magazine
- Senior Counsel, American College of Barristers.
- Sigma Xi Honorary Scientific Research Society.
Bar Admissions, Other Court Admissions & Professional Memberships:
- All Florida District Courts of Appeal, First through Fifth Districts
- U.S. Supreme Court and all U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals, which are as follows:
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Trial Court Admissions:
- All Florida state trial courts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Member, The Florida Bar Appellate Practice and Advocacy Section
- Member, The Florida Bar Business Law Section
- Member, The Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Member, The Florida Bar Health Law Section, former
- Member, The Florida Bar Labor & Employment Law Section, former
- Member, American Bar Association ("ABA") Council of Appellate Lawyers, former
- Member, ABA Health Law-Torts Section, former
- Member, ABA Litigation [Appellate) Section, former
- Member, ABA Business Law Section, former
- Spanish (worked in Mexico, Colombia and Puerto Rico; studied tropical biology in Costa Rica).
Dorothy F. Easley, M.S., J.D. -- President and Supervising Attorney
Board Certified in Appellate Law
Dorothy is a former elected-Chair of the 1700-member Florida Appellate Practice Section, former Vice Chair of the Appellate Court Rules Committee, and former heads of two "big firm" appellate departments. As the firm's founder and board certified appellate specialist, Dorothy uses that experience to supervise intimately and works exhaustively with a team of appellate attorneys and appellate paralegals to efficiently and expertly advance your appeal to leave no stone unturned.
With hundreds of appeals, her firm is highly experienced and respected by appellate judges and her colleagues. Dorothy is an exceptional appellate advocate and writer, recognized with numerous awards for expertise, the uncanny ability to turn complex legalese into understandable prose, and win even the most complex cases.
When it comes to federal appeals, Dorothy is a nationally recognized author who literally wrote the book: Successful Federal Appeals in All Circuit Courts: A Practical Guide for Busy Lawyers. Dorothy appreciates the value of hard work, perseverance and tenacity. She grew up on a farm, learned to drive a tractor, and worked on a forestry logging crew for room and board as an undergraduate in the mountains of North Carolina. Dorothy has a Master of Science, summa cum laude, in forest genetics from New York SUNY/ESF, where she also worked as a Research Fellow, and a Juris Doctor, cum laude, in law from University of Miami, where she served as the Inter-American Law Review Executive Editor after serving as a Research Assistant for work on Constitutional and Latin American law. Dorothy also interned at the Third District Court of Appeal, State of Florida.
Her diverse professional experience--as a published research scientist in Latin America, as a university law professor, as a board certified appellate specialist, and as a former "biglaw" partner--has positioned her as a recognized leader in the appellate community.